Rick Merillat, LCSW offers online therapy and counseling to clients in Southwest Florida and across the nation. If you are interested in therapy, but don’t know how you can spare the time, then online therapy may be just the answer you are looking for. Rick conducts video sessions over a secure HIPAA compliant platform, meaning that you are guaranteed the same degree of privacy and confidentiality as you would receive in his office but from the comfort and convenience of your own home.
Why online counseling?
Online therapy and counseling offers many benefits that make it an increasingly attractive choice for many people.
- Ease and convenience. Making progress in therapy requires a commitment to regularly attending sessions. For many people, the time it takes to drive to the therapists’ office is time they simply don’t have. Online therapy gives you the opportunity to schedule a session at the time and place that suits you. If you have children, online therapy may also save you the cost and inconvenience of hiring a babysitter.
- Confidentiality and anonymity. While there is thankfully much less stigma to seeking therapy than there used to be, some people still feel embarrassed if other people know that they are seeking help. Online therapy gives you the opportunity to schedule a session without worrying that someone will see you.
- A more comfortable location. As therapists, we try our best to provide a warm, welcoming location. However, some people just feel more at ease in the comfort of their own home. If you tried therapy and never really felt comfortable or if you get anxious in social situations, then it’s well worth giving online therapy a try.
- Lower cost. As well as saving money on gas and parking, online therapy also makes it easier to be flexible about pricing.
- More means of communication. One of the exciting possibilities offered by online therapy is the ability to express yourself by typing as well as through speech. Sometimes, when you just can’t find the right words, the opportunity to type out your thoughts can be very helpful.
- Easier to organize couples sessions. Let’s say that you want couples or family therapy, but it’s hard to find a regular slot where you and significant others can be available at the same time and place. The power of the internet makes it possible for three or more people to be present in separate locations. Online counseling can be a real benefit for long distance couples.
Reach out for online therapy
Online appointments are not suited to address all psychological concerns, and should not be used as a form of crisis intervention.
Online therapy is not appropriate for people with thoughts of suicide or homicide. Help is available at the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433) or 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or call 911 for emergency local assistance.Please share this post!